Wednesday, August 15, 2012

First open the garden, then pour the tea



Opened our garden on Sunday, for the National Garden Scheme, which for those of you who don’t know it, raises money for charities through encouraging private gardens to open to the public. They have been running since 1927, and now have thousands of gardens in the famous Yellow Book guide. Its not the first time I’ve participated in the scheme but the first for our current garden. Not surprisingly garden visiting is listed as one of the most popular hobbies in Britain.

Read on.......

2 comments:

Telegraph Tea Room Garden School said...

It looked fantastic :D

Life Style Garden said...

I recall that your current garden includes an attempt to create a stable plant community in which the plants mostly sort things out on their own. I am experimenting with a couple of similarly themed gardens and am finding them to be far more maintenance than expected. Agressive invasives (both native and not) have proven themselves to be inevitable, and I find more and more of my selected plantings just can't compete. So it was with interest that in an article in Garden Design you quoted Piet Oudolf as saying he was experimenting "...to see how robust perennials would grow with native grasses and wildflowers." I find myself doing the same thing, although often to my chagrin.

Chuck Gleaves
Mansfield, Ohio, USA